12152017Headline:

Wilmington, North Carolina

HomeNorth CarolinaWilmington

Email Jean Martin Jean Martin on LinkedIn Jean Martin on Twitter Jean Martin on Facebook
Jean Martin
Jean Martin
Contributor •

Settlement Reached in Case of Newborn Burned By Malfunctioning Respirator/Humidifier

Comments Off

In the winter of 2007, a newborn suffered severe and permanent injuries, including disfiguring burns, as a result of malfunctioning respirator and humidifier. Thermal burn resulted in air so hot that it melted the plastic tubing to the baby’s nose. Lawyers for the family today announced that a settlement had been reached in the case for $18.5 million.

This is a terrific result. Children are our most precious resource and deserve the best protection and the utmost care. It is truly tragic when something so horrific happens to a child, especially a newborn. I am happy to hear that the negligent defendants did the right thing and settled this case without having the family go through a lengthy and arduous lawsuit.