Every year, 33.1 million people are injured by consumer products in their homes. Some of these products have warnings from the CPSC and others are new products and technologies. Either way, the home is supposed to be a place where families can feel safe and secure. This list contains products families may use everyday and don’t realize what a hazard they can be. Injuries and incidents are easily avoidable if consumers are aware of these hidden hazards.
1. Magnets– Rare-earth magnets can be very powerful and are put into many popular toys. As the number of these products increase, so do the number of injuries to children. Many of the injuries have been due to children swallowing the magnets after they have fallen out of toys.
If two or more magnets, or a magnet and another metal object are swallowed separately, they can attract to one another through intestinal walls and get trapped in place.
Parents and physicians may think the object will pass through the child without causing problems, but if the magnets attach they can put holes in the intestines, cause blockages, infections, and possibly even death.
2. Recalled Products– The CPSC is very effective at getting recalled products out of stores, but once the product is in the home the consumer must remove the dangerous product. Consumers need to be aware of the latest safety recalls to keep dangerous products away from themselves and family members.
3. Tip-overs– Furniture, TVs and ranges can tip over and crush young children.
Deaths and injuries occur when children climb onto, fall against or pull themselves up on television stands, shelves, bookcases, dressers, desks, and chests.
Parents should make sure that furniture is secure, or anchor the furniture or range to the floor or wall.
4. Windows and Coverings– Children can be strangled by window coverings or by blind cords that form a loop. Parents should use cordless blinds or keep the cords out of the reach of children. Also children often play around windows and may be killed or injured if they fall out of an open window.
5. Pool & Spa Drains– The suction of pool drains are very strong and can hold an adult underwater. Most accidents with pool drains involve children. Their bodies can easily be sealed against the drain, and hair and swimsuits can become entangled in a drain. Many accidents are due to broken or missing drain covers.
For more information on this subject, please refer to our section on Defective and Dangerous Products.